Personal finance magazines are a low cost route to a financial education

A subscription to one of the UK’s impressive investing and personal finance magazines can, with a bit of effort, educate you in finance and investing
[See the full post at: Personal finance magazines are a low cost route to a financial education]

I’ve picked up Investors Chronicle for train journey’s to manchester and Money Week too but I’ve never been a regular reader though I thought they were both good.

I have wondered how people who do buy them regularly get on. Do they think they help or is it too much information. It might be interesting to learn from regular readers.

I’ve never read Moneywise/Money Observer/Shares/What Investment though I’ve seen them in Smiths.

I like Money Week for its rather contrarian take. It is selective in its fund/IT recommendations though is perhaps a bit biased in favour of Japan and Gold. David C Stevenson’s well reasoned column is particularly helpful for new ideas.

But Money Observer is my real mainstay - packed with detail (especially the valuable data tables at the back) and now some regularly monitored Rated Funds (guides me to good ones long before Hargreaves Lansdown eventually cotton on to them, if they ever do). Great coverage of Investment Trusts, too, with new expanded quarterly supplement. Could do with rather more ‘review/sell’ recommendations, though - lots of tips for what to buy …

I’ve read both Investors Chronicle for a number of years and Money Week.

Like @David says Money Week are contrarians, sometimes doom-mungers, end of the world types but there are some really good well argued and researched articles there from very good writers.

Merwyn Somerset-Webb is very good and often produces leftfield pieces based upon detailed research and analysis.

Investors Chronicle has a lot of stuff in there and is a more useful guide to investment ideas than Money Week. I have found some real nuggets of investor wisdom and tips. If you’re a new investor I think after several months reading the Chronicle you could be up to speed.

All of these magazines cost remarkably little for the knowledge they bring. I know little to nothing about Money Observer and the other publications mentioned here but for a savvy investor it’s a no brainer in my view subscribing to one or more of these publications as well as keeping up with websites such as this one and others.

Does anyone ever actually make any money out of the recommendations in these magazines?

I’ve seen Shares/Investors Chronicle/Money Week and the people writing for them are often journalists out of Uni having done a journalism or English degree. What can they tell me about investing? All they want to do is report the latest story/trend after it’s happened.

Be useful exercise to monitor the recommendations of these magazines to see just how many they get right. They’ll always blow their own trumpet when they’re right about something but say nothing about the calls they get wrong.

How would you know if you don’t buy them regularly @mousy. I read Shares magazine mainly for share tips and although some haven’t worked out I’ve done very well out of them and I think it’s great.

It’s not as great for funds or trusts but I don’t mind that I can get the information I need on them from other places.

I’d wholeheartedly recommend Shares magazine to anyone looking to invest and needing some ideas/inspiration. It saves a lot of painstaking research yourself.

I have been a reader of Investors Chronicle for over 15 years and yes in response to Mr Mousy’s question I have profited from the tips and recommendations there.

I am not the most adventurous investor and I prefer to focus on not losing money so I avoid all the high growth shares, preferring solid dividend payers. Investors Chronicle saves me from researching the market to the extent I would need to if it weren’t there.

If a stock like Unilever is particularly cheap by historical standards I find this out from Investors Chronicle.

It also covers funds and investment trusts which I like to use to get investment expose to overseas markets where I won’t invest and in higher risk areas such as pharmaceuticals and technology.

One of the great things about the magazine is it’s suitable to both new investors and experienced hands because there’s something in there for all of us.

I also get tips from The Scotsman newspaper and in the short time I’ve been using this website I’ve invested in to Lowland Investment Company which was reviewed here: http://whichinvestmenttrust.com/lowlands-multi-cap-strategy-continues-pay

@Mousy they are better than you think. I’ve got some excellent tips from Shares magazine for individual company stocks. They went through a phase when they were promoting spread betting too much, something I think of as gambling rather than investing but they’ve quieted down there now.

It’s not so great for Investment trusts but you get stuff on there elsewhere like this site and Motley Fool, but it’s really good for company share tips.

@CharlotteSquare you need to put the @ symbol in front of peoples names if you want them to know you’ve mentioned them. they get an email to inform them if you do this so @Mousy for example.

I read Moneyweek which I agree can be alarmist at times, they have a particularly scary end of the world type of video but you also get some very considered thought from a number of very talented writers and thinkers.

I have on occasion picked up Investors Chronicle for long flights but I’ve never been a regular reader.

I’ve never read What Investment or Money Observer but @david 's enthusiasm for it makes me think I’ll grab a copy next time I’m in Smith’s.

It is interesting to read other peoples opinions on the various investing magazines because wondered if they were any good or if they’re staffed by just out of University journalism graduates with little knowledge but a knack for telling a good story.

I subscribe to both What Investment and Money Observer and both provide a great background to personal finance and have reasonable coverage of Investment Trusts.

The key point is both provide lost of general advice on pensions, ISAs and I have not felt the need to use a finance adviser recently. A years subscription is generally very cheap (~£35) relative to Money Week, a daily news paper or paying for advice. I’ve read the odd issue of MoneyWise - but my view is that gives similar advice to that found in the Saturday newspaper personal finance section.

I think Money Observer is the best of the bunch as it has two lots of annual tips on Investment Trusts, and has model portfolios that include them - they also now generally keep these updated on the website (so @Mousy you can at least see how the tips are progressing) . Not surprisingly they rarely cover subscription shares and obscure split caps or private equity. Money Observer has lots of guest comment from industry professionals and the staff writers are pretty good. They are now owned by interactive investor - but in general this doesn’t seem to have impacted the quality and has enabled some of their portfolios to be cheaply bought on the interactive platform.

When you consider the cost of an IFA then @scjim’s £35 seems like money well spent though you do of course have to do the work yourself.

I’ve never read Money Observer but I’m keen to have a look. Thanks to both @David and @scjim for your reviews.

I’ve read Shares magazine and Moneyweek. Of the two I prefer Shares but it is best for share tips though there is some coverage of funds and investment trusts too. This suits me because I invest in a mixture of direct equities and funds and investment trusts.

I’ve read Investors Chronicle for several years and I think it is an extremely useful magazine and website. It covers funds, investment trusts, shares, ETF’s and much more, with well researched and written articles on investing.

I have got loads of fantastic tips from there and in the grand scheme of things it costs diddly squit.

There are several investor portfolios which I find useful to compare my own holdings against and to nick new ideas.

What’s not to like!