Lower qualified men most at risk from potential new EU trade barriers

Originally published at: https://whichinvestmenttrust.com/lower-qualified-men-most-at-risk-from-potential-new-eu-trade-barriers/

Men with GCSE qualifications or below employed in certain manual occupations are more likely than other groups to work in industries at particular risk from new barriers to trade with the EU after Brexit. Historically, those in this group have struggled to find equally well-paid work elsewhere when job losses have occurred. That is one…

It sounds to me like it will effect many of the very same people who voted for Brexit, which is very sad.

It is also sad that so many people were hoodwinked by extreme right wingers in to not understanding the importance of free trade agreements and how if we are out of the EU we cannot get the same free trade benefits.

The Brexiteers argue that we can trade with the rest of the world and because other parts of the world are growing faster we will be better off. But this ignores the fact that all countries trade more with those around them for reasons of time (important for perishable foods), culture, language, being on a similar timezone etc.

Also, we can trade with the rest of the world right now, so, whatever has stopped us will we begin trading more just because we’re out of the EU???

I agree with you @xaivercatalan we can trade with the fast growing parts of the world already but don’t to any great extent even though being in the EU does not stop us from doing so. indeed, Germany and the Netherlands trade considerably more than the UK does with the rest of the world for all sorts of manufactured goods.

But it’s become a polarising divide where economics counts for very little. It won’t be until a few years down the line when we as a country are becoming poorer that those who voted for this will see the error of their ways.

Can we trade with anyone now? I’m not sure it is totally open to us, on all products. Where did NZ lamb go? I’m sure that was blocked.

But probably not as sad as it effecting many of the very same people who didn’t vote for Brexit.