Investment Trust Top 20: Hold steady as we market turbulence

Originally published at: https://whichinvestmenttrust.com/investment-trust-top-20-hold-steady-as-we-market-turbulence/

The Top 20 most viewed investment trusts, reflects investors’ hopes and fears and tells us something about what is going on in investors’. Scottish Mortgage occupies the number one slot it has come to almost own, though the investment trust goliath has had a turbulent few months as short term volatility has seen its share…

Interesting, but there are so many different reasons why investors are looking at these trusts. Including, yield, growth, momentum, defense and value to name a few. Worth remembering that the AIC only has data for trusts that are members of it and many alternatives aren’t. Even some long standing ITs aren’t like North Atlantic Smaller Companies. I wish they would all join so we had a cental data point to refer to… :hear_no_evil:

A point of order young James - you can still view Gross Assets, Price, NAV, Discount, gearing and dividend yield + growth for AIC non-members as well as Price total returns and Ongoing Charges - use Find and Compare investment companies.

You can see membership is around 90% of entire industry by using the “Statistics” tab industry overview.

I usually won’t look at an investment trust if it’s not a member of the AIC @james_pigott @David_M . Though the AIC are not as useful as they used to be because they don’t display the benchmark data.

It is interesting to see what trusts are most popular even if it is only from search data.

@David_M, it’s been a while since I’ve been called young! I agree about the data that is there, but that data is very limited. Just wish the other 10% would join up. Some site costs but I’m not sure if that is the same of all of them. Some just want to remain the best kept secret!

Hello. I am writing a number of pieces of investment trusts and have found this site really useful. I’m looking to talk to a couple of investment trust investors - you can remain anonymous - on why they buy trusts, and which particularly ones they hold. It’s for a couple of new articles for Morningstar.co.uk. If anyone is happy to answer a couple of very quick questions (by email) do let me know and can send my email. Sorry if this feels a bit butting in on a conversation. I’ve tried contacting a few stockbrokers / and investment trust companies but they are not the best at putting people in touch with real investors. Thanks. Emma Simon

By all means.
Mickbeaman@gmail.com

I would happy to help but i don’t want to post my email address. I think you can message me privately.

Thanks very much will send an email

Thanks very much - will attempt to send a direct message - if that fails feel free to drop me a line on emma@emmasimon.co.uk. Many thanks. Emma

Predictably I can’t see how to send a message. I can see the message inbox (where I have a message from the site) but not how to send a new one! Sorry. Feel free to drop me a message though, or email on emma@emmasimon.co.uk. Many thanks. Emma

It’s not a great idea to share your email address here @Emma_Simon unless you are okay with spammers grabbing it.

You can message users individually. if you have any issues doing this contact the @whichinvest Admin account and one of us will come back to you.

If you right click on someone’s name and open in a new tab you will see an option to message them.

It’s not a great idea to post your email here @mickbeaman. Unfortunately Russian/Chinese spammers comb our whole website daily. We employ very strong security but it can’t prevent them reading posts.

It’s possible to privately message any user of these forums by opening their profile and clicking on the message icon.

I don’t helping if you are still looking for volunteers @Emma_Simon .

That’s great - it’s a regular weekly column so that would be excellent. I’ll try to direct message you - and thanks v much. Emma

Would have been better to create a post specifically to find volunteers @Emma_Simon.

Thanks - this sounds like a daft questions but how do you right click on a mac (or phone)? I’ve tried clicking on the name to see if link to messages comes up - and have also gone in message inbox to see if icon for send new message, but neither seems to work.

Thanks

Emma

You can do it without right clicking. Just click on someone’s name and you are presented with the option to message them.

I’ve done it before and not had any great problem. Gmail seems pretty good at blocking stuff. In contrast the contact box on my own website is heavily spammed!!

Yeah Gmail is pretty good, much better than yahoo or Hotmail.