How you could have made a million from PEPs and ISAs

Originally published at: http://whichinvestmenttrust.com/how-you-could-have-made-a-million-from-peps-and-isas/
Investors who contributed their full annual allowance into PEPs and ISAs since they launched in 1987 could now be sitting on a pot worth over £1 million if it had been actively managed according to new research. Savers who took full advantage of each annual tax free allowance since the inception of the (PEP) on…

Fidelity Special Values has never really been on my radar. I’m surprised by how well it’s done, though back when PEPs started I was just a wee nipper, with only pocket money to invest.

I wonder if there are any other investment trusts that would have performed even better over this time horizon?

Scottish Oriental Smaller Companies has a pretty crazy impressive performance record, I wonder if they would have bettered the Fidelity fund. Or there’s that somewhat strange Marwyn fund that invests in two or three listed companies, has a dodgy corp governance but great performance.

I’m not sure where to go to check performance histories going back 20 years, Morningstar and the AIC only go back 10 years, Trustnet only 5 years.

Anyone else know?

@khalidkhan, Trustnet’s Charting tool goes back to 1995 for securities that have been around that long.

Either select Tools->Charting and add in your selections. or add the items to the basket and select Open Basket->Examine these funds using FE Trustnet tools->Multi-plot Charting.

When the chart appears, click on Timescale and enter the timescale or the date range that you require. The charts will go back only as far as the age of the newest item, or to 1995 if they are all older than this.

I never knew you could get that sort of data from Trustnet without having an account you pay for it. Thanks for that @arkwelder. I couldn’t get it to go beyond the year 2000 though, not sure if it goes further back. I could select an earlier date but the data wouldn’t change (see image).

Scottish Oriental wasn’t around in 1987 @khalidkhan , it was founded in 2000 but it has returned 936.9% in those 15 years. Not bad at all.

Darn, I’m prevented from uploading an image because I’m new!

It’s a bit confusing the Trustnet tool because the data does change when you enter an earlier date, you see the graph move but the date along the X axis remains the same.

Useful tools though. I’ve never really used Trustnet much. I think I’ll play around with it to learn more

I’m having a little play around with it too, having never used it before. Thanks for helping me out with this @arkwelder

I see you can build portfolios on it. I have been looking for something like this to build dummy portfolios for my kids to learn about investing. This might be what I need.

@jonno, the Trustnet charts will display as far back as the youngest item being displayed. So if there are two shares, one launched in 1997 and the other in 2000 then the chart will display back as far as 2000 only. Another issue is that adding a new item or changing between Total Return and Capital Only will reset the display back to five years, being the default.

I also would have posted some images as examples, but I am also too ‘new’ to be trusted! :smiling_imp:

@whichinvest, @dicem

The reason you can’t upload files is because all imported accounts are treated as new members. We can’t change everyone on bulk but we can do it individually.

Everyone in this forum and a few others have had their membership status increased two notches. Hopefully this will allow you to upload images. Have a go and see.

If anyone else wishes to have their membership upgraded please message @whichinvest
@arkwelder @khalidkhan @grahamp @jonno

I can’t upload, I am still getting the same message about being a new user :frowning:

Okay bear with us while we look in to this further @khalidkhan

Following on from my previous post, this is what I’d intended to put:

But as an exercise…

Scottish Oriental being the youngest. Over this timeframe, HgCapital has returned slightly more than Fidelity. Now remove SST so that the start date goes back by around nine months:

This gives us Fidelity’s ‘desired’ result! Look at that laggard, though…

Now show all of the trusts from the earliest date to 2010, i.e. five years ago:

Interesting, eh? Which one(s) would have been bought in 2010 based on their historic performance? Whichever ones would have been bought then, their performance since that date is…

Once again, these demonstrate how buying based upon past returns can be unreliable, especially with performances over longer timescales. Apart from economic circumstances, managers can also change: Anthony Bolton, who was in charge for a substantial period of FSV’s existence; James Anderson, being lead manager over the later years at SMT.

Here’s what I got when I did a chart:

The date wouldn’t beyond 2004.

I’ve been able to do this just by following the instrustions Arkwelder left above and I’m not that familar with these things.

Not sure how much I would use it though because I tend to get my tips from other people but maybe it’s time I started doing some of this for myself.

Thanks for the lesson Mister.

@khalidkhan, if you delete the three sector indices, i.e. the AFI xxx Index, by clicking on the red button with the white cross at the end of each line, and then go back to the start date and just tab across to the end date, then the chart should go further back.

Thanks @arkwelder Dealing with the kids at the moment but I’ll take a look at this when I get them down.

Cheers mate.

(Bye the way, these forums look really good on my iPhone).

This absolutely fantastic, so useful. It’s not entirely intuitive so I’m grateful for the help @arkwelder has given, I don’t think I’d have figured this out otherwise.

The only other means I had for going back beyond 10 years for performance was searching for old annual reports, which is not easy so this make life a lot easier.

Happy times :sunny:

Maybe @arkwelder should do a masterclass on investing since I get the sense on here that there are a lot of newbies to investing and then the rest of us who know a little.

The Trustnet tip is very helpful because I think it’s good to know as much about a fund as far back as possible. Especially for me because I don’t like to change my investments unless I can help it. I can hold them for a very long time so I try to pick the right investments first time around.